Friday, February 15, 2008

Grani's Valentine

The ladies in Grani's office alwyay start bothering Grani about Papa coming over to play or sing for them for Valentine's Day about two weeks before Valentine's Day. "It just wouldn't be Valentine's Day if Lyndel didn't come sing for us!" they whine. I wasn't going to go this year. It's a good 45 minute drive if the traffic cooperates - longer some days. But the more I thought about it, the more I thought, "My lovely Valentine is the envy of everyone at LifeWay and all the men need to see the work of a true romantic (it makes them go out and buy flowers and candy)." So I packed my violin and a CD player into my faithful PT Cruiser and headed out to LifeWay.


Here I am playing Can You Feel the Love Tonight. I also played You'll Be in My Heart.
I had told my lovely Valentine, Grani, (a.k.a. Cheryl to the people in her office) that since the ladies were insisting that I drive alllll the way to Nashville from Clarksville that I was going to do like the guys down on 2nd street and open up my case for people to throw change in. So there they all were, lined up in the foyer of the HR department, sitting on the floor, standing around, watching me set up my stand and get my violin out of the case. So I laid my violin on a chair and then set my case out in front of where I was standing, pulled my wallet out of my back pocket and took out a dollar and threw it in the case (priming the pump - so to speak). They all laughed, but when I started playing one of my groupies threw a dollar into the case. Then she crawled over (she was sitting on the floor) and unzipped her change purse and started shaking coins out. They went everywhere! Others joined in. It was way too funny. But I did at least get gas money out of the deal. $3 in ones and $3.39 in change!
Here she is - the envy of LifeWay.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Awww. very sweet. This post brought back memories of the "serenade" given to our group during our Spring Break trip to Puebla (96,
I believe?).