Thursday, February 14, 2008

Papa's Best Valentine

Grani and Papa were Valentines waaaaay back in the 70's! Our first official date was for Valentine's Day. Our church, Eastwood Baptist Church, Tulsa, OK had a "Sweetheart Banquet" every year. We had already been sitting by each other in church and I asked her to go with me to the Sweetheart Banquet. She said yes! Great-grandpa had to drive us because we were only 15. I walked her up to the door and (children, close your eyes for a second) I kissed her good-night! Woo-hoo! It was not just our first kiss with each other it was our first kisses with anyone. How sweet is that? I think we both almost fainted.

We have a picture frame at home - one of those collage deals. I couldn't take the pictures out to scan them individually because they are stuck to the glass. I wanted you to see them.


The pictures are:

Grani as a baby, Grani and Papa in Denver, Papa as a baby

Grani and Papa at 6 flags over Texas when we were, hmmm, probably about 20

then my all-time-favorite picture - taken with a Polaroid Instamatic so it has faded a lot over the years - It's Papa and Grani at her, oh dear, now I don't remember if she was 15 or 16 here (I'm pretty sure 15). My heart still skips a beat when she walks in a room, just like it did when she was 15!
And then the last picture is when Papa graduated from college.


Here are a few more recent pictures of Papa with his Sweetheart Valentine.
Valentine's Day 2007
Our Christmas trip to Chattanooga 2007

3 comments:

Jay Beerley said...

How sweet!! You guys are just adorable. Of course you and Andrew and Gibson look exactly alike!! And, this will be weird, but I think in that picture of you guys in Denver that Cheryl looks like Haley! Not sure how that would be possible, but I see it. :) Glad you had a great Valentine's day!

OKeedokey said...

Haven said, "Is that Papa and Grani when they were big kids?"

Anonymous said...

I agree with Christi that Cheryl looks like Haley. Weird...

You two are so sweet!!! I'm loving the six flags picture. It's absolutely awesome.

Happy Heart Day!