Monday, May 05, 2008

May Day Memories


I've checked on Wikipedia about May Day. It's another one of those cross-quarter days. (Hmmm, I guess posts about cross-quarter days have been on my church blog www.hilldaleworship.blogspot.com )
Well, anyway, I never knew when I was a kid that May Day is workers day in a lot of countries. I always knew May Day as fun day to surprise someone. Great-grandma would help Papa and Great-uncle Roger make a basket and we would go to someone's house and place the basket of flowers on their doorstep. We would then ring the doorbell and run and hide and watch them open the door and be surprised.

I was traveling to West Tennessee on May Day this year and heard on the radio that it was May Day so I had to call Great-grandma and thank her for such a wonderful memory. She told me that she had bought some flowers at Wal-mart and that she and Gibson left them on the neighbor's porch, rang the doorbell and hid. Yeah grandma!

I thought you might enjoy seeing some of my flowers that I would like to leave on your doorstep if I was home on May Day and knew where you lived and could actually get to your house.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

R Lyndel Littleton said...

I got an e-mail from one of my faithful blog readers. She mentioned that in the collage that the picture on the top row third from the left it looks like there is a face. I looked. Oooooo! It looks like George Washington to me!

Anonymous said...

I think it just looks like a lady.

Jay Beerley said...

Hmmm, Jay and I can't see it. We decided that our minds aren't nearly as creative as yours. Beautiful flowers though.

Daniel and Christy Davis said...

So on May Day Hannah and I were going to cut one of our roses and take it next door. I'm just scared to ring the door bell and run in this day and age...people are scared of things like that (especially in our neighborhood). So we were just going to stand there and hand them a rose...but then we didn't. I told Daniel that is what we used to do.

Daniel and Christy Davis said...

I actually have a memory of a house, there were several trees outside of it, it was in Spiro, and we did that, and then I remember she invited us in. And there are pecans in the memory. And I think the house was green.

OKeedokey said...

I like playing hidden pictures! So do my kids, as you know. I saw it right away, but only in the smaller version. Gibson had so much fun on May day, but it was Grandpa who was excited that you called with good memories. I've never even heard of May day! Sad huh?

R Lyndel Littleton said...

Yes, Christy, you remember correctly. It was Ms. Terry's house. You were three or four years old. After we rang the doorbell we ran and you fell and cut your hand on the sidewalk or a rock or something and that scar on the palm of your left hand is from that May Day.

Haley, the lady who first told me about the face said she only sees it in the smaller version. Same for us. Now that you know about May Day you'll have to do something next year. :)